4/14/2003

You know...I realized something key to my life the other day...

I was sitting and watching the INDUS show and listening to ppl talk about how they feel like they belong there. That they can fit in and meet ppl with the same background...when i realized...there's really no one like that for me...no group that i can go to to fit in ethnically. Sure, i could join a political group or some club...but it's not the same. There aren't any specifically half-Chinese, half-Persian groups. There's no group of people I can go to and talk about how we switch off between Perisan and Chinese foods at home, how our parents are really conservative, neat-freaks, who have double standards for male & female children...nope...

This made me realize the importance of the few networks i have that i can fully identify with. Yes, there's religion, and that's extremely important. But, here I'm talking about ethnicity. And, in that case, though religion lends culture to a person, there's nothing like what you just are. You know what I mean. Anyway, I guess that's why I am so patriotic. That's why I love being an American. Anyone and everyone (well, almost) can be an American. It's great to feel like I'm a part of something.

No comments: