11/05/2004

I suppose I was a little premature in my former post (guess it's good I'm not a guy)...in any case...he's "brain dead." And, frankly I have my own theories about the whole hullaballoo surrounding his "death."

This morning was supposed to be the big day. Modem, or screw it all. Yes, so, I returned home in relatively high spirits. I said to myself, "I don't really give a damn anyway"...and actually believed it! (for once...)

No modem.

Eh, that's okay, I thought...I'll just give them a call. What else can I do...

I calmly gave them a call. Calmly got on the phone with a service person. Was told they had sent the packet to my place, but the address was wrong.

Then I calmly went hysterical.

The lady switched me to someone else who could "help" me...who would resend the package.

This other lady got onto the phone. Restated the problem, and then said they'd resend the package again.

I tried speaking to her, really I did. But, it was all too much for me. Two months of daily disappointment. Come on...I've had enough of that this summer to last a life time...and it continues...

I broke into tears, actually...it was more slightly uncontrollable sobbing. (And no, I'm not ashamed to cry over the Internet, I recognize my dependence...).

The lady told me I could just buy the modem at a store. Well, hell yeah, I already knew that. Stupid lady. I should have just done that months ago...I couldn't calm down on the phone...the lady told me she would reimburse me for the calls made to them (about $0.33 for a local call here...and I've called them at least 15 times, most times I was put on hold for as long as 20 minutes...)...

Well, that's something. I guess I was starting to freak her out.

Anyway, that was it. It just wasn't worth it anymore.

I went to the store. Bought the damn modem. And now I'm home, on the Internet.

Setting up was a bit of a challenge, all in French...and many times I almost thought it wouldn't work here (b/c the building is really old, and the phone lines are a tad different here)...

Anyway, it's always one thing to the next.

I was at home, put a pot of water on the stove, prompty forgot about it...and then remembered it...right before my kitchen was about to light on fire. With my electric stove bright red, and the pot cracked because it was so dry...I was a little worried. I turned off the stove...and gingerly tried moving the pot off the burner...but it wouldn't budge. And it seemed to me like it could explode any minute. After a quick conference with a friend online, I decided to wait until it cooled...tho I worried it might stick to the stove...

Oh yeah, did I mention my landlord is coming on Tuesday?

Well...luckily, it eventually cooled down, and I did get it off the stove.

Ah, but that's not all...

Tonight I get on my computer. I'm defragmenting, cleaning, moving, deleting etc...ready for a new start. And just trying to send someone a song that I recently discovered grace a Patrick--"Grace is Gone" by Dave Matthews. An awesome song. Anyway, trying to send that song...and...kaboom. My computer crashes. Well, actually. It didn't crash. It just froze...Then...after trying everything to resuscitate it...it went to a navy blue, blackish screen...

Now, everyone knows the "blue screen"...heck, that was my friend all through my first two years of college...that's how I'd close my applications!

Nono...here I got a nearly "black" screen...which you know must be serious.

Then, I got a message. Quite simple...something like...

"Deleting physical memory..." and it gave me a seconds countdown...

JOY!

So, I try to turn off my computer...I'm pressing the off button like mad...and it's not turning off...and the countdown continues...12...11....10....9...8...7...6...

Finally, it turns off. And I don't know if those are the seconds left until it's done deleting or what...didn't really have the time to check...

Anyway, tried turning my computer back on. It froze again, then it wouldn't even boot up, went to on of those system set-up screens, pre-Windows...said some keys were locked etc...

Now, imagine...

You just got Internet, you only have ONE computer...no back up disks with you...it's gonna be a weekend, so...no access to a person who can help you...

Yes, it is my curse.

In any case...as you can guess. It worked out. Thank G-d. And...I'm gonna have to clean up this computer. B/c now...I'm paranoid....

No comments: