2/15/2005

Times for me to post about what I have not yet...before I forget.

What I want to remember from my travels:

Vienna:
The shady skinhead bar, the guy we asked to get there...his fearful look and his pale finger pointing the direction...our slight hesitation...interesting crowd.
Varun and Sean...new friends in New York.
Albertina's amazing Chagall exhibit
My run through Hafburg (sp?) grounds...
The synagogue with the armed guards...(how we knew it was a synagogue)
The two recurring Australians...new friends in Sydney...
The Wombat Hostel...good bar, Ma'Ayn flirting with pool guy, her bet with him to call us...he didn't call us.--us sucking at pool b/c of the flirting...
Ma'Ayn's self-help book...apoxy eyes...or whatever those things are.
Ditching and remeeting so that I could see things myself a bit...museumes etc...
Christmas Markets...longash, like a Chinese pastry...yummy...gluwhein...kartoefelpuffer (that one's really a Berlin memory, actually)...
Spending a scary night in the Vienna train station, Westbanhof, b/c the stupid ticket guy hadn't told us it was at Sudbanhof...even when I asked. He had laughed--an argument between Ma'Ayn and I that followed...where she yelled at me for being upset at him laughing at our misfortunes...ended up lost on the tram...walked out with backpacks in pitch black neighborhood...

Prague:
That night incident, getting lost, getting blamed, getting screwed...no bar there for me.
Ripped off at the Internet cafe...
"Charles Bridge," dash through castle, pic with guard
Sir Toby's Hostel...eh...so so.
I didn't like Prague...didn't impress me.
Failed to take pic of that one monument, took lotsa other pics...

Krakow:
Greg & Tom's hostel...amazing, like home...good movies.
Auschwitz...ironically taking a car with a big sign that says "OSCWIECSM" (sp?) on it...remarking on that as we were smudged into this car.
Israeli soldiers at Auschwitz doing a memorial ceremony...the Israeli flag blowing in the wind right in front of those train tracks...my pictures with it/soldiers...and of it...
Horrible tour guide who went too quickly, ditching groups and getting a better guide.
Orange sticker...now in discman (to remember if I give back to P-man)
Didn't get to see old Jewish city at night b/c it was too cold, Ma'Ayn didn't want to...was where they filmed Schindler's list...apparently also the city where his factory was located.
Chess set from night market! (well...day...but it was so dark)...another Christmas Market, yum.
The salt mines, that yummy restaurant...perogi...ahhhhhh...
100 Jews in Krakow

Warsaw:
The uprising museum, excellent really.
Christmas eve/Christmas in Warsaw...hanging with the Jews, Chinese and Atheists...
The monument, and our nighttime tour...
Bar with the Jews...
Shabbat morning in the only remaining synagogue in the former ghetto...where they barely have enough usually to make a minyan.
Stories of former skinheads finding out they are Jews...watching the guy read torah/aaliyah...will become only kosher butcher in Poland.
More crazy stories like that...talking about it after kiddush.
Hostel okay, but free beer cuz they felt sorry for us...

Budapest:
Movies...like others (but forgot to mention)...free internet.
Walking that huge hill...
Getting "controlled" and paying huge fine for not having ticket properly pressed.
Walking buy museum and square...not going in b/c Ma'Ayn didn't want to even tho it had a special exhibit...a huge line and I really wanted to go.
Buying that necklace...getting into pseudo argument with Ma'Ayn when I just wanted her damn opinion, but she got all fussy with me.
Not ice skating b/c of my sprainedish ankle...
Chess games...
The baths the next day...175 degree fahrenheit (80 celsius) sauna...no water, dehydration and near death going home on the train. Nursing myself back to health...dehydrated for 3 days (like tongue and mouth dry after drinking a liter of water...just a second afterwards)...thank G-d not drinking water too quickly right after when I felt sick...learned later most people die from that because they drink too much water too quickly, their brains swell up and they die.

Back in Paris:
Sick through New Years...didn't get to hang out really with Raquel and Roxanne...
Roxanne drunk. ;)
yelling to get into my friend's party...where the heck was her phone?
crazy metro...

Amsterdam:
canals
coffee shops
Rykjsmuseum, Van Gogh museum, Heineken brewery
Flying Pig Hostel---WAY too expensive, overrated...
smelling like weed for 3-4 days straight...
shady Israeli guy, not wanting to see him the next day...vomit feeling.
kewl Asian guy, walked me to my train, Canadian and architect...just moved there
Red Light District...sad.
Chinese rice crackers...the search.
Good Vietnamese food.

Copenhagen:
no Hae-Jin...the search for a place at the net cafe that morning, Daniel.
key, made dinner, Internet, good music...Georgian rap (not from the U.S.)
Good Persian food.
the castle, the Black Diamond, the Resistance Museum, the little mermaid, Hans Christian Anderson
Stress test...
going out at 2/3 a.m....
bar at night, getting beers bought for me, random woman buying me a beer...from Malmo, Sweden...
in Denmark, but partying in Sweden, overnight trains...
Carsen
McDonald's...kinda like sightseeing the world's McD's since it's the cheapest food out there quite often.
Good Indian food...
Christania (sp?)--wannabe Amsterdam...pretty graffiti...walking around at night and suddenly spotting (not much light there) huge scary graffiti walls.
Club with the famous people...

Stockholm:
Meeting Farouz...
Going to Helsinki
fast sightseeing, good sandwhich place, nice people taking pictures
lotsa kewl convos with locals.
Shinji...getting ride from Farouz...his interrogation by father...tension at night, watching "Finding Neverland"...Japanese/Swedish music cd, dragging backpack through mall to buy food, being cheap.

Helsinki:
Overnight boat trip there...great people, bar, karaoke, club.
Lotsa drunk finns...lotsa random French people...
students from Lappereenta, Dima.
Magdalena...karaoke, bar company, friend.
Aleksi, sleeping on the couch, no blankets...freezing, starting to feel sick.
Meeting Alex Saforov on the tram randomly in Finland...he being a flake...no sauna for me.
"Eurotrip" and "Dead Poet's Society"
Random burned finnish movie, wonder if it has subtitles.
Suomelinna Fortress Island...learning lotsa history, tromping around in the snow...almost dying...spraining ankle, howling so that all of Finland heard me...sticking foot in the snow...taking pictures
A shy people--the student cafeteria...
Woman at tourist office getting my info, she may study in Paris.
"Market"--closed basically...too cold. Lotsa churches...

Stockholm:
Boat trip...Estonian/Russian/Finnish girl...tries to get me drunk, I feel sick...argue with her because I don't wanna drink, don't wanna go out cuz I feel badly. Sure enough I vomit thrice in the night...she wakes up...even tho I'm freaked out, just rolls over goes back to bed.
Vomit everywhere...as I try to get to the bathroom from my top bunk...on the bed in two places...then all over the floor of the cabin b/c the old lady on the other top bunk took the ladder all to herself so I can't get down (normally can, but not WHILE vomiting)...because I would have to balance my weight on both my arms and hoist myself down...and I don't have the strenght.
Shame as I watch an old man clean up my vomit. Scared to go to lie down, scared to sleep...scared to vomit again. Pacing the ship in utter agony...in my pjs, completely disheveled...while random guy comes up to me and blows me a kiss...sitting down and listening to music...avoiding the smokers, rocking back and forth...random guy coming over (very decent), sitting with me and talking with me. Wants to take me sightseeing in Stockholm, or "help me out somehow"...I completely blow him off because I feel WAY too sick. Feel badly about it later, he was a very nice, decent person. He did make me feel better tho.
Staying at Afrouz's place...her family nursing me back to health. Her smoking constantly. Doing laundry at 1 a.m....upcider...bar...coughing my lungs out.
The train ride to her place...eternity...so weak my joints hurt...sleeping and sleeping.
Good Persian food...
I'm a Jew. Yes.
Arguing politics...speaking Farsi...

Attempt to get back to Paris...
Staying at Bijan's place in Copenhagen...random food at night, weakness...waking up early early ...off to train (finally), meds at the kiosk...yeah...I'm a Jew.


Zurich:
The Starbucks--getting there too early, other coffee place getting ripped off my exchange rate...McDonald's that never opened, the museum with lotsa Giacommeti and Monet exhibit...guy giving me free ticket to the exhibit.
Writing a HUGE letter at the Starbucks...one I'll likely never send.
Music..."over and over again"...

Luzern:
Severin and family, awesome people...sleep...comfy bed, shower...
Taking out 100 swiss francs...going out to a bar/club with friends (hopping through like...5)...finding only 20 swiss francs in my wallet the next day. Panic.
Awesome Korean restaurant, Sev footing the majority of the bill because I'm broke--my own personal Swiss bank.
Burned movies (13!)...yay!
Chess games...
City tour, most closed for winter...
Rosengart museum...Picasso museum...kewl.
Schnapps...
Awesome jazz concert
"Vodka" water...clubbing the next night..."Flower Power"--"dancing"...weed. me and my water.
"Gay" guy...Sev's bro drunk, "gay" guy leaves, we leave.
Rigi mountain, portion of Alps...first time sledding...
Motor bike accident on way back...
Hitching home..."are you going to Luzern..."? Awesome couple...
Snow snow everywhere..."F*ck Switzerland" on the bridge.
Swiss army knife...
Coffee...smoking everywhere in the place...
Borrowing clothing/shoes for sledding..."shit shit shit..." down the hill.
Flipping sled on ice...judo roll. ah...saved!
good beef/veggies/pasta.
Yes, I'm a Jew.
Being broke...

Final analysis:
Too much Mc Donald's.
Yes, I'm a Jew.
I am only 20 years old. Yes, it's true.

No comments: