10/27/2004

Now for something a little more esoteric (tho that's not hard)...actually, to digress...i think the word "esoteric" lends itself to esoterism more so than the actual material being discussed...catch my drift?

Something that's been worrying me for quite a while is the state of the United States democracy, I really think it's being challenged. Not in light of the 2000 election (Democrats stop your snickering...), but rather, in light of this election, the 2004 Election. You read everywhere that the two candidates have their lawyers at hand, ready to challenge the results of the election, which everyone believes will be quite close...

Take a look at this from today's paper:

With the possibility of another inconclusive election night looming, lawyers were already deep in courtroom entanglements in a variety of states over problems either anticipated or already experienced in states with heavy early voting.

In one example, a federal judge in Miami ruled against Democrats in saying Florida election officials will not be required to process incomplete voter registration forms.


What a sad state...I mean, charges have already sprung up about the electronic voting without a paper trail, messed up ballots, voter registration fraud? I don't think it will take much for one side to contest the results of the election if they lose. And that's what I fear. I feel like this sets a precedent for all other elections--screw election result credibility--there goes that peaceful change of power, political party, administration, policy...whatever. Even if the party in charge does not end up changing *crosses fingers*...the impression of a contested president, administration,...will last. Perhaps it sounds a little melodramatic to say this is the end of democracy. But, it could likely be the end of credible elections...and if elections are no longer credible...then...what wlil happen?...

This is why I apprehensively await the aftermath of the elections. Not just because I worry about the winner...but I worry about the entire outcome...

Already there have been those who have tried to sway the election...fasle documents, increased terrorism against Americans, what else? I'm certain there's more. How have things come to this? (That is a rhetorical question. But I can answer it a little, I think). After the 2000 election there are those who questioned the very basis of an Electoral College (or "grands-electeurs" as they say in French, sp?)...I mean, that was written into our Constitution...if you want to amend it, so be it. But if not...then, that's the system we work with. For G-d's sake, if you start questioning one of the points on which our democracy is based, in terms of presidential voting...then you screw over everything else. So man, you've gotta just live with that--or vote it out, put up a referrendum...blahblah...

Yes, the 2000 election did set a bad precedent of contesting election results. It shouldn't have happened. But...what can I say? It did. And the fact that many Democrats to this day contest the election results...establishes this precedent as somewhat justified, if not necessary...For them, it didn't go far enough.

Why don't we just crucify the American voting system while we're at it?

I'm so glad I was able to vote in this election. But again, so sorry I live in California.

No comments: